Sunday, June 9, 2013

Morning Observation #4

A Great Modern-Day Author


In Case You Want to Order

Khaled Hosseini will be speaking today at Dobson High School in Mesa, Arizona. I read about it in my morning paper and it inspired my this blog.

Hosseini was interviewed along with the announcement—the paper gave him nearly two columns—and he spoke about his latest release "And The Mountains Echoed" and his writing process. In case you've just returned from Siberia, I'll remind you that Khaled Hosseini also wrote "The Kite Runner," which I read and adored, and "A Thousand Splendid Suns," which I still haven't gotten to, but not from lack of wanting.

Anyway, enough of the setup. His interview covered his writing process and where he gets his ideas and many other subjects that readers want to know, but this is the one that stuck in my mind. When asked about distractions from writing, he said, and I quote exactly:

"The Internet is the biggest. It'll start innocently enough. I'll need to look something up: "What year was there a protest about this issue on the streets of Paris?" But you know, one thing leads to another, and the next thing you know I'm on eBay looking at some old car. The Internet is what whiskey used to be to a writer, only less ominous."
The Arizona Republic         
June 9, 2013        

I laughed out loud, several times, from the absolute truth of it. The only thing I disagreed with are the last two words, 'less ominous.' I'm not so sure about that. When that happens to me I sometimes look up and realize three hours have vanished. So what do you think? Is the Internet truly less ominous than whiskey to a writer? Let me know your take on this subject. Shamefaced writers want to know.

It's so tempting to post laughing emoticons across the bottom of this post, but I'll restrain myself.


A Scottish paradise lost in time is invaded by 21st century thugs. It was a robbery gone terribly wrong, ending in Luke Slade and his wounded cousin being swept through a window in time, with  killers chasing in behind them, trapping them all in 1672. Caryn McLaughlin rules Lochlorraine and when Luke appears she knows her worries will soon be over. He is Luke the Dragon Slayer, none other, and his duty is clear. Her duty is to convince him.

 
Connie Flynn, bestselling, award-winning author of ten published novels and three published short stories, also teaches fiction writing at Mesa Community College. She has gone indie recently and has been busy growing her online presence. She writes in several genres — paranormal romance, romantic comedy, action-adventure and contemporary fantasy. She also writes mystery and suspense as K.C. Flynn. Look for several new releases from Connie/K.C. in 2013.

Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/ConnieFlynnAuthor
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ConnieFlynn
Email: connieflynn@yahoo.com
Website, http://www.connieflynn.com
Subscribe to Connie's Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/qOHbT




No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome