Saturday, June 20, 2015

Considering CrowdFunding? Tips on How to Begin


A few months ago I went to a writer’s meeting. The speaker, a well-respected agent, mentioned that he had purchased a small publishing company through the crowdfunding site, Kickstarter. I’d heard of Kickstarter on Shark Tank and that agent inspired me to investigate the crowdfunding phenomena. Not sure what that is?



Flash forward several months. I was working on a new book cover for FIRST WE KILL ALL THE ZOMBIES. Critics had been saying the book looked like it was written for young boys, and I ended up agreeing. So . . . I was pulling up various category lists on Amazon, trying to get a feel for color mixes and composition that more clearly defined what the book was about. I searched strictly by genre, categories and keywords.

About the time I’d pulled up the fifth or sixth keyword, I noticed something. Every list I opened was topped by an average of ten FREE books. I had to know more, so I went through twenty book lists under frequently used Amazon devised categories and keywords. Category after category, keyword after keyword, one after the other like good little soldiers in a row, the lists were topped by FREE books. Had I inadvertently pulled up actual free books bestsellers lists? No, not so. This is simply what readers get when they do random searches by category, genre, or keyword on Amazon.

My first thought was, no wonder everyone’s saying sales have badly fallen off.

Amazon’s search engine is incredible. It can find almost anything anywhere. Which is good. After all, everyone has met someone at an event who’s expressed genuine interest in their book and say they’re going to buy it. So what happens next? Quite often that person (who let’s assume was genuinely interested) has lost your card, forgotten your name but goes to Amazon thinking, ‘it's something about zombies; no, wait, maybe it’s ghouls . . . or vampires.’ Finally they remember it is zombies and enter that keyword.

Presto! The list pops up. And the top ten zombie books are FREE. So what if they came in to buy my book? Why search for a new author, no matter how nice, when you can fill up your Kindles with free books?

My second thought was, I don’t stand a chance of rising on the lists for longer than a nano-second.

And when you can’t keep you books high enough on the lists, you don’t make enough sales. That’s when I began seriously considering crowdfunding.

I had a few things to overcome – not the least being the feeling that I was begging . Click on begging to read the wonderful blog that helped me see crowdfunding another way.  Be sure to watch the Amanda Palmer video, too. It’s well worth the time.

This brought me to my third thought:
"The significant problems we face can not be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
     - Albert Einstein

In business this has been loosely paraphrased to: Whatever you’ve been doing to reach this level of success will not take you to the next.

In other words, new strategies and approaches will be needed. Publicizing solely within the publishing community was not going to increase my audience. I had to reach an outside audience beyond the world of book blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon and possibly even Google (can you imagine that?).

And it would take a lot more money than I have.

Welcome Indiegogo.

I finally committed to my campaign. I’d researched the topic and felt I was as ready as I was going to be without actually doing it. I chose Indiegogo because they were very savvy in showcasing bands, filmmakers, visual artists, writers and other creative endeavors. What’s more, their support of new campaigners is extensive and on-going and their fee schedule is the most generous.

I developed the campaign’s theme. The title is HELP CREATE A RUNAWAY BESTSELLER and the slogan is Toppling Goliath One Book at a Time — Goliath being the online superstore that must not be named.

Seriously, I’m not one of those people who thinks Amazon is evil. It’s simply a business and today’s businesses have an unhealthy fixation on the profit motive and wiping out their competition. If we take control of our book marketing we can create our bestsellers. One book at a time. One author at a time. Then Amazon becomes our tool instead of our obstacle.

I’m now in preparation mode. I’ve started writing various perk descriptions (a perk is something you give in return for the contribution). I still have to decide exactly what all the perks will be. My launch date is Saturday, July 25.

So between now and July 25, and during the campaign itself, I will be blogging my weekly progress. This week I added copy to my Indiegogo page and put up graphics and reached out to find a videographer to record my introduction to the campaign. I’m also emailing my already known supporters.

The campaign will last for 40 days. During this time, contributions will be made, perks will be delivered, new ones added to the mix, and contributors will be kept appraised of our bestseller’s runaway status

If you would like to know more about crowdfunding, I’m hoping this blog will help. If you’d like to contribute, thank you very much. If you’d prefer just to help, then tell people about me and my books (connieflynn.com) and let them know this is a chance to watch their identifiable efforts push a book higher on the bestseller lists.

If you have questions about crowdfunding, would like to offer advice or just want to tell me I’m nuts, I’m more than happy to hear from you and to respond.



Week #1 Considering Crowdfunding?
Week #2 Getting Started With Indiegogo
Week #3 Pulling it Together
Week #4 Show Me the Money
Week #5 What if No One Comes
Week #6 Launch Week at Last

To Connie Flynn Site

11 comments:

  1. Connie, so glad you're taking the time to blog your Indiegogo journey! I know a few authors who are thinking of using crowdfunding to raise their membership fee for Dog-Eared Pages' new #indie800 project (also a form of crowdfunding). Your timing couldn't be better.

    I agree 100% that as indie authors we can't allow ourselves to be limited by the whims of one corporation. We might as well go the traditional route if we're open to that. Just this week, Amazon has decided to pay authors based on pages read instead of books downloaded for KOLL and Select.

    If you're interested, here's the info on the Indie800: http://bit.ly/1IgC0xZ

    I wish you luck and will be sharing your blog posts.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, Thank you so much for speaking up in support of my effort. It's kind of a scary path I'm taking and I am very interested in your comments and suggestions and will be looking at learning more about the Indie800. I did not know that about Amazon reducing royalties on downloads for KOLL and Select to pay only for pages read. They'd already reduced royalties below what Select used to pay. Pages read . . . now isn't that, I don't know, possibly evil?

      Delete
    2. Just checked out #Indie800 and, wow, you have a big vision. Good for you. I'll do what I can to support you.

      Delete
    3. Great idea, Connie! I will be watching your campaign and tweeting your news to my followers on Twitter.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting concept, Connie. I'm anxious to follow your journey. Good luck to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kayce. I'm looking forward to the journey myself because I have no idea what to expect. One thing I know, is that I'm open to comments and suggestions because, as I've already hinted, I have no idea what I'm doing? Your encouragement and good wishes help.

      Delete
  3. It IS a big vision. I'm so excited about it! We've just started and already have 2 amazing authors. Kris Tualla and Alan Black, plus me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very interesting. I knew nothing about this crowdfunding for writers. New idea. Thanks for sharing and look forward to learning more. And I like the preview of your black jack dealer main character who was found half dead in the Mississippi river...very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susanne. Crowdfunding is fascinating and as I continue these blogs I'll go into what finally prodded me into doing a campaign myself. I thought Ky was fascinating too and was glad when she finally found a goal. This is the book I'll be showcasing and I've started book two, which will feature a character out of Know to When to Run. I hope you keep in touch. It was good to hear from you.

      Delete
  5. Successful crowdfunding campaign don’t always have to involve hundreds of thousands of dollars and worldwide attention.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome