Monday, July 6, 2015

Crowdfunding Week 3 - Starting to Pull it Together

You Gotta Give a Little to Get a Lot 

The reason I’m I'm titling this blog "Pulling it Together is because we'll be doing just that over the next few weeks before the July 25 launch.   This is just the beginning. And it’s the fun part. 

As I've sought out devices to attract contributors to my Indiegogo campaign page, I’ve added a new little twist to my slogans. 

To remind you, the campaign title is:  Help Create a Runaway Bestseller 
My tagline is: Toppling Goliath One Book at a Time
 
Then I was shopping for perks and came across  six inch foam fingers. This gave rise to our slogan:


Help create a runaway bestseller and we’ll give you the finger

As promised, here it is.  THE FINGER

Now this isn't the actual giveaway finger. They're on order right now. They'll have a big #1 inside the finger, and the campaign logo will go on the palm

So why am I talking about Runaway Bestsellers, Toppling Goliath, and giving people the finger?

Because it made me realize you have to give a little to get a lot. I became determined to carefully craft my campaign pitch and, more importantly, to give serious thought when selecting my perks (a token gift or a discount on a purchase).  


The biggest author mistake I saw when reviewing other Indiegogo campaigns was they only offered copies of their books.

The spread between the successful author/campaigner and the unsuccessful was pretty obvious. The ones that have made their goals or are close, put together pitches with humor, humility, and authenticity. They added value to their giveaway books, even a lollipop can do if it somehow relates to the campaign.  


The next mistake was staggering up the contribution amoun for perks that didn't increase in value. The third was a lack of attention to the campaign pitch. 

Crowdfunding isn’t Lawrence Welk land. People who browse crowdfunding sites are seeking a product that engages them.  This isn’t always easy for people in the creative fields  – writers, filmmakers, musicians, artists, actors – who don’t have pricy products to sell. Their success is based on the perception of their audience. For them, snappy writing, catchy videos, and clever perks are a necessity.

So this explains the little six inch foam finger. Plunk it on the finger of your choice, stow it on top of a soda bottle, wave it around. Give a virtual one to anybody you like.

What I’ve gleaned from scrolling through dozens of campaigns is that you have to set aside thoughts of how much money you’ll generate and put your attention on who would want to read your book(s) and dream up perks that might make them smile and craft a chit-chatty pitch that will amuse and engage them. And charm them into helping you reach your goal.

There’s more to know on this subject, of course, but next week I’ll be blogging about the crowdfunding element that sends many wannabees hiding under the bed: Asking for Money.
 
When you log off this blog, you might want to take a look at some of the campaigns that Indigogo is running . In particular, check out the ‘writing’ category. Also, browse all the instructional material they offer their campaigners. They’re a very impressive company. Indiegogo.


To make sure you don't miss a week, subscribe to email delivery using the link on the right hand sidebar.
Week #1 Considering Crowdfunding?
Week #2 Getting Started With Indiegogo
Week #3 Pulling it Together
Week #4 Show Me the Money
Week #5 What if No One Comes
Week #6 Launch Week at Last



To Connie Flynn Site

2 comments:

  1. Looks fun and intriguing. I look forward to more of your indiegogo journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eve. It is fun and I'm looking forward to coming up with catchy giveaways, although I'm not sure about the give you the finger thing. Some people will find it as amusing like I do, but some people are really literal and might be turned off. So I'l see what people say.

      Delete

All comments are welcome